Taking regular study breaks is an important part of balancing the challenges of university life. The Library has a range of ways to take a study break to de-stress, combat procrastination and refresh your mental focus or simply chill out with a good story for a while.
Sleep Pods on campus
Sleep Pods are available at Bankstown, Campbelltown, Hawkesbury, Liverpool, Nirimba, Parramatta South and Penrith campus libraries. The features of the Sleep Pod are designed to help you relax - the zero gravity position, specially composed sleep music and gentle wake sequence of programmed lights and vibrations will have you rested and rejuvenated in no time. Have a nap next time you are on campus!
Recreational reading, eBooks, audiobooks and more
Take a study break with popular titles available from the Library collection for recreational reading, listening and watching. Whether you love sinking into a comfy chair and turning the pages of a book, reading on your device or listening to audiobooks on the go, your Library has your recreational reading sorted.
The Library runs different Brain Break activities on campus throughout the academic calendar, these are listed in Library News and Events.
We have also selected a range of digital ‘Brain Breaks’ that may help you refresh your mental focus, combat procrastination and overcome motivation dips. Use the social apps to connect with friends, test your thinking with a brain teaser or cognitive riddle and have some fun with physical co-ordination challenges. “Snap-Wink” is one of our favourites and is known among Library staff to end in hearty laughter!
Go on, take some time out and have a little fun with Brain Breaks.
Keep your mind sharp by trying out this range of free games.
Message another student and play together with these social apps:
ONLINE BRAIN TEASERS
Puzzle Prime Brain Teasers
This website has a wide range of brain teasers to tickle the most conscientious mind. Select from categories such as Insight, Math, Lateral Thinking, Deduction, Riddles, Detective and more.
PHYSICAL CO-ORDINATION CHALLENGES
This activity requires you to switch snapping and winking. It engages both hemispheres of the brain and stimulates neural pathways.
- Stand up
- Wink your left eye and snap your right hand index finger and thumb at the same time.
- Wink your right eye and snap your left hand index finger and thumb at the same time.
- Switch back and forth as fast as you can.
Energising Brain Breaks, viewed 6 May 2020, <http://brainbreaks.blogspot.com/>
Hands Brain Break
This Brain Break seems simple. However, you will find out soon that you may have a hard time mastering it.
- Stand Up.
- Start by waving your right hand in front of you left to right. Your palm should be facing away from you while keeping your hand with your fingers pointing up.
- Now stop that hand and have your left hand in front of you waving it up and down.
- Now practice moving them at the SAME TIME. Do not move your hands going diagonally.
- Now switch to have your right hand up and down, and your left hand to right. Do this faster and switch often to make it more difficult.
- Lastly, to increase the difficulty, have your arms crossed while doing this.
Energising Brain Breaks, viewed 6 May 2020, <http://brainbreaks.blogspot.com/2014/02/hands-brain-break.html>.
- Say the days of the week backwards, then in alphabetical order.
- Say the months of the year in alphabetical order. Easy? Try doing so backwards, in reverse alphabetical order.
- Find the sum of your date of birth, mm/dd/yyyy.
- Name two objects for every letter in your first name. Work up to five objects, trying to use different items each time.
Sharp Brains, viewed 6 May 2020, <https://sharpbrains.com/blog/2015/12/01/brain-teasers-for-adults-to-flex-two-key-mental-muscles-attention-and-working-memory/>
RELAXATION, WELLBEING AND MINDFULNESS
Mindful breathing is a way of building resilience to stress, anxiety and anger. This brief animation steps you through a very basic mindful breathing exercise.
Download and listen to relaxation recordings designed to give you moments to de-stress. By engaging in these sessions, you can simultaneously relax, enhance your ability to focus and perform well academically. Created by the student Counselling Service at Western.
The Refreshing Deep Breath
Take a deep breath while counting to four. Hold this breath for four counts and then exhale slowly while counting to six.