When sourcing data from third parties, assess the suitability and validity of the source and reuse conditions by referring to the Australian Research Data Commons Data user’s flowchart.
There are several options to help you locate research data:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics: In addition to freely available data, approved Western Sydney University researchers have access to subscribed services as part of the ABS / Universities Australia agreement. To get started, register using your Western Sydney University email address.
- Australian Data Archive (ADA): Over 6000 datasets, time series and stand-alone, including social attitudes surveys, health studies, election studies and public opinion polls.
- DSS Longitudinal Studies: Data from the Australian longitudinal studies HILDA, LSAC, LSIC, and BNLA.
- Research Data Australia: A discovery service for data collections produced by Australian research organisations.
- re3data.org: A global registry of research data repositories from different academic disciplines.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: Statistical assets covering housing assistance, homelessness, perinatal health, disability, cancer, hospitals and hospital activity, alcohol and other drugs, and mortality.
- HathiTrust: Public domain texts available to bulk download directly, for non-commercial research purposes.
Some additional data sources which may be useful: