Information about Western Sydney open access institutional membership funds may be found here.
Strategies to Identify Appropriate Journals for Your Research
- Identify journals on the ERA list in your area of research
- Provide journal impact information
- Link to journal websites to access submission requirements
- Link to the journal on the Western Sydney University website if held
Access Journal Finder (best viewed in Google Chrome).
Alternatively, you can search the individual sources which include:
Journal Citation Reports: database contains official impact factors and related citation analysis data.
- Impact factors should not be used in isolation, out of context, they are relatively meaningless. A better indicator is the rank of the journal in the field, eg. journal A ranks 6th out of 106 journals in the Nursing;
- Only journals indexed in the Journal Citation Reports commercial database will have an official impact factor;
- Not all quality journals have an official impact factor
- The ERA Journal List was created specifically for the evaluation of Australian research output.
- The list was created by Australian experts with sector consultation.
- Not all journals are represented on this list.
To avoid publishing in a predatory open access journal, consult this simple checklist before submitting.
Other Strategies for selecting a journal to publish in include:
- Browse your reference lists and conduct database searches to determine the journals publishing work in your area of research.
- Browse the journals identified above to determine if your research would fit within them. Ensure you comply with the Instructions for Authors when submitting.
Several journal publishers provide materials to assist researchers wanting to publish, a selection of these include:
- The recordings and session notes of a recent Western Sydney University SAGE publishing seminar are available here.
- Elsevier provide a guide to publishing in scientific and medical journals.
- Emerald provide a general publishing guide. A management specific guide is also available from this link.
- Wiley provide book and journal publishing advice.
Remember, to always consult with your research supervisor when targeting a Journal for publishing.